Having previously seen and very much liked the 2002 Soderbergh remake of the same name, I was curious to watch the original, hopeful it wouldn't diminish my appreciation of the remake. Which it did, illuminating Soderbergh's film as an accomplished, throbbing little nothing of a film - it's existence perhaps best justified by establishing just how great Tarkovsky's masterpiece was by comparison (Although it did provide the world with one of Cliff Martinez's very best and most seductive soundtracks. Swoon).
Plot summary: Russian psychologist Kris Kalvin heads to space-station by sentient planet, which scans his brain and creates a corporeal though indestructible recreation of Kalvin's long-dead suicidal wife. Hilarious hi-jinks (read: slow, heart-breaking discussions of the situation) ensue; George Clooney's bottom is mercifully absent throughout.
The film, then, is an unsettling {especially the last few frames, which wigged me out more than any cinematic denouement since the last few scene of Kaufmann's Invasion of the Body Snatchers), moving exploration of love - specifically the limitations of love, illuminating how when we love, we necessarily love our idea of that person, rather than the person itself. This is, in the words of Sick Boy, beautifully-fucking-illustrated, as the woman who appears on the space station only has as much knowledge of herself as Kris Kalvin had of his dead wife. If the most common problem with Sci-Fi can be argued to be the way it renders character subordinate to speculation (and that's a big 'if' - I am not saying this is definitively the case, but I would argue it is easy to cite many, many examples within the Sci-Fi genre of characters being ciphers to events), Solaris stands as a stark rebuke to that argument - it is difficult to think of many films more moored in human emotion. The character's actions seem to be consequences of their feelings, rather than machinations designed to serve the plot or theme.
What struck me most about the film was how its slow, meditative takes (sections such as Burton driving on the highway run for minutes, without any notable action occurring) were utterly entrancing and seductive, rather than irritating. Ebert notes these passages in Tarkovsky films allow the audience respite to consider the philosophical implications of what has occurred before, and I am inclined to agree.
The ponderous length and the long-takes, seductive as they are, stuck in my head because there is something ineffable in film when these go right. When executed well, as done here, (Malick springs to mind as a similar successful example) slow, steady, action-light shots encourage an almost hypnotic involvement with the film - in the past I've likened it to giving the mind a bath. When done poorly (as I would argue is the case in Werckmeister Harmonies, or fucking fuckity-fucken Uzak) they are maddening and woefully pretentious. But I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can directly pinpoint what separates the successful examples from the failures.
To sum up: Solaris, brillo-pads wee flick. 3 hours of ponderous Russian filmic goodness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
While I find Ebert's theory useful in understanding some shots, there are others that seem to strike me the same way that abstract art will - as something just sort of there and amazing.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I get the urge to watch Tarkovsky films just to look at the wind.
Oh, Solaris, one of my favoritest movies. What I love most about Tarkovsky is the way that he films art, in this case the Brueghel which he so beautifully juxtaposes with the incredibly depressing home movies Kris shows Hari. ("That woman in the white coat hated me.") And the way the camera moves is amazing also, like the scene where Kris hallucinates multiple mothers, multiple Haris, and a dog, all through a primitive yet effect camera trick. What a beautiful and sad film.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who found Werckmeister Harmonies pretentious ("Oh noes, naked old man--this recalls to us our own vulnerability so that we must stop our murderous rampage" WTF).
Sonia - you're right; and Ebert wasn't claiming intentionality on behalf of the author, but rather elucidating one purpose these passages serve. What really blew my mind in Solaris were the shots of the horse. WHY ARE THE SHOTS OF THE HORSE IN SOLARIS SO FREAKING BEAUTIFUL? WHY, SONIA, WHY? It's just a horse and yet for some reason it takes on an eerie, preternatural beauty. (Whilst I have your attention - Soju - I sent you an email asking for your postal address though it may have been to a defunct email address - could you send it to me please?)
ReplyDeleteJustin, you could not be righter about Werkmeister Harmonies - your one sentence echoes my sentimonies exactly.
I saw this at The Embassy, and it was one of the highlights of my movie-going life.
ReplyDeleteYou know that I agree with you about Werkmeister Harmonies. And I agree with Sonia about Tarkovsky's long takes - sometimes beauty is its own reward.
You really need to blog far, far more often.