Sunday, 12 April 2009

The Fall (Tarsem, 2005)



Not liking this film is tantamount to being a complete and total idiot.

Yarg.

I am afraid of the law of diminishing returns when you recommend a film to people - simply by telling someone a movie is good you set up a level of expectation that the film then has to overwhelm in order to stand out. That aside, I can't really hold this in. I haven't felt this way about a movie since I was a child.

I felt like a magic trick was taking place. I felt a level of fear throughout because I expected something to happen during the movie's final third to ruin the movie or even to render it ordinary. When this didn't happen, and in fact the movie moved towards a climax more emotionally satisfying than I could have anticipated, I felt like a cinematic sleight-of-hand had taken place.

Simply put, 'The Fall' makes me want to grow up and live within the world of the 'The Fall.' And I haven't felt that way since I was a child.

Woot.

No comments:

Post a Comment