that it makes me a bad person, lying to those chaps on the street who try to talk you into joining the Red Cross or Greenpeace. If I had the courage of my convictions, I would look them straight in the eye and say "I'm a bit greedy. I still haven't mentally alligned myself to the idea I'm making money since the comparative poverty of student lifestyle, and as such I am completely afeard of any kind of financial commitment, no matter how meagre in size and noble in outcome. No."
Instead, I mumble about having already committed to other charities and comment on how much I admire what they're doing. Both lies. I mean, I appreciate what they are attempting to do, and it takes some meaty bollocks to stop strangers in the street on their lunch-breaks, but I cannot help but be acutely aware of the impotency of their endeavours. IT IS NOT AN EFFECTIVE METHOD OF RALLYING SUPPORT. Go the old-fashioned route, have guilt-rousing advertising plastered with images of those in strife who really do deserve our money and our sympathies.
*sighs* I'm a bad person.
Monday, 29 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment